Main Research Activities
I am an assistant professor at Worcester Polytechnic Institute, where I direct NEST Lab. The focus of my research is designing innovative tools for swarm robotics.
- Programming large-scale robot swarms
I am developing Buzz, an innovative programming language specifically designed for real-world robot swarms. Buzz was widely covered in the media, most notably by MIT Technology Review, Communications of the ACM, and RoboHub.
- Accurate, physics-based simulation of robot swarms
During my Ph.D., I have designed ARGoS, which is currently the fastest general-purpose robot simulator in the literature. ARGoS is used by many laboratories across the world to perform accurate physics-based simulations of large-scale robots swarms. I am continuously improving ARGoS to suit the diverse needs of the swarm robotics research community.
- Swarm robotics for disaster response
I am working on swarm robotics solutions for disaster response scenarios, such as search-and-rescue and firefighting.
- Conference Chair
- MRS2019 (area chair), AHS2017 (technical co-chair), ANTS2016 (publication chair), AHS2015 (tutorial chair)
- Swarm Intelligence (associate editor, 2018-2021; guest editor, 2016-2017), IROS (associate editor, 2016-2018), Frontiers Robotics&AI Multi-Robot Systems (topic editor, 2017-2018)
- Program Committee Member (last 3 years)
- AHS2018, ANTS2018, DARS2018, GECCO2018, ICDS2018, IJCAI-ECAI2018, ISER2018, SAC2018
- CAS@SAC2017, DRONET17, ICCCN2017, MRS2017
- DARS2016, DAS@ICAC2016, eCAS@SASO2016, SAB2016
Grants and Awards
- 2018 Rho Beta Epsilon Award for Excellence in Robotics Education
- 2018 WPI Computer Science Provost MQP Award Winner and Robotics Engineering Provost MQP Award Honorable Mention for the Major Qualifying Project "Autonomous Strategic Games and Robotic Design" (students: Griffin Tabor, Jonathan Berry, Evan Gilgenbach; co-advised with Prof. Ken Stafford)
- F.R.S.-FNRS Chargé des Recherches, 3-year postdoctoral fellowship (160k EUR)
- Winner of the Spring 2015 PLOW Scientific Computing Challenge
- Selected as Banting Candidate by École Polytechnique de Montréal both in 2014 and 2015 (top-2 postdocs across university)
- Awarded grant funded by NSERC (Engage program, 25k CAD)
- Most Innovative Technology award at the 2012 Robot Film Festival
- Winner of the AAAI 2011 video competition